Burlington VT in the Winter
Try These 6 Magical Things to Do
Come winter, Burlington is a best of both worlds kind of destination. It’s just a stone’s throw from exhilarating winter activities like skiing and snowmobiling. But it has plenty of its own winter charm to boot.
In the winter, Burlington Parks operate outdoor ice rinks and even groom cross-country skiing trails. Ben & Jerry’s still churns ice cream and breweries and distilleries craft seasonal concoctions. Whether you want to embark on an adventure or keep things cozy, winter in Burlington is sure to delight.
Start with these six magical things to do in downtown Burlington and beyond.
• Skiing •
Skiing and snowboarding are among Vermont's most popular winter pasttimes. Hit the slipes at Smuggler's Notch, Bolton Valley, Stowe, Sugarbush, or Mad River, all of which are within 45 miles of The Essex. Our concierges are at te ready to make recommendations based on your desired location, timing, and skill level.
· ICE SKATING ·
· SLEDDING ·
· GENTLE GIANTS SLEIGH RIDE ·
How Do You Vermont?
Vermont is the ideal destination for countless adventures. Even (and especially) the adventures you have yet to discover. Whether you picture yourself plowing through powder on a snow mobile, cozying up in an art gallery, or just remaining open to the possibilities, you'll find something to love in Burlington.
What's your travel type?
· Craft Beer Crawl ·
Warm up after a morning in the cold with a beer from Burlington’s booming craft beer scene. Here, you can sip on staples like IPAs and stouts, though many area breweries also craft seasonal specials with extra spice. Try Black Flannel Brewing Co. or 1st Republic, both located near The Essex. Sip your brew of choice in their tap rooms or enjoy a to-go growler in the comfort of your own room.
· Visit Sugartree Maple Farm ·
In late winter, sap starts flowing and farms get to work turning it into sugary sweet maple syrup. Visit nearby Sugartree Maple Farm to see how they go from tree sap to a beloved breakfast syrup. At Sugartree, they even hang metal buckets on the trees for old times sake even though their operation is modernized.
· Savor Lake Champlain Chocolates ·
Ever wonder how chocolate is made? Lake Champlain Chocolates is demistifying the chocolate-making process at their lakeside factory. Savor melt-in-your-mouth gourmet chocolates, but only after you've checked out the chocolate sculptures and chocolate-making equipment.
Winter Experiences at The Essex
Private Offer - Rates Starting at $99
Enjoy savings of 35% for a limited time with this exclusive offer. Explore our culinary scene with hands-on cooking classes, interactive fine dining & over 30 local brews & ciders on tap in The Tavern. Feed your body, mind & spirit at Spa at The Essex. Satisfy your sense of adventure exploring local breweries, skiing, dog sledding & more.
Click To Call
Vermont boasts wide open space, fresh air, gorgeous views and more. The perfect destination for a road trip with so much to see and do for all types of travelers. Whether you are a foodie, naturalist, spritualist, culturalist, beer enthusiast or an adventurer, let The Essex Resort's guest specialists help guide you to unique “Vermont-ing” Experiences perfect just for you.
Subject to availability, some restrictions or black out dates apply. Offer valid for travel prior to 12/31/21.
Escape to Vermont & Cozy Up with 20% Savings
Hea to Vermont with Winter Savings at The Essex Resort & Spa! Save 20% off your stay + 20% off Spa treatments, Dining & Cook Academy classes! With The Essex as your home base, you’re just minutes away from skiing, shopping, breweries, cider mills, wineries, fine art & even dog sled rides. Enjoy nightly s'mores by the firepit, live music performed by local artists, craft brews in the Tavern and the beauty of Winter in Vermont.
Click To Call
There's so much to do all winter long. Plan your Vermont Winter Getaway now! Package Includes:
- 20% Off Room Rate
- 20% Off Cook Academy Classes, Dining in The Tavern or Junction & Spa Services
- Nightly S’mores By the Firepit
- Snowman Building in the Snowman Garden
- Snowshoes for Onsite Exploration
Offer valid for stays January 1, 2021 - March 31, 2021. Offer based on availability. Some black out dates apply. Offer not valid for groups.
Destination Exploration - Vermont Adventure Awaits
Nestled between the Adirondacks and Green Mountains, with nearby experiences that include Lake Champlain and Burlington, the area surrounding The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa is a playground for Vermont adventurers. As the temperatures dip, Vermont becomes a winter wonderland with a variety of new activities for those seeking adventure. Ski, Skate, Dogsled or Snowmobile. Winter Adventure Awaits...
Click To Call
- Ski Downhill- Hit the slopes for some skiing or snowboarding at Smuggler’s Notch, Bolton Valley, Stowe, Sugarbush or Mad River! Our concierges are here to make recommendations based on location, timing, and options for all skill levels. All five mountains are within 45 miles of the resort.
- Cross-Country Ski - If you’re not into speeding down hills, the cross-country skiing might be your winter activity of choice at Catamount Outdoor Family, Stowe, or Trapp Family Lodge.
- Skate- Experience the great outdoors skating on Lake Champlain, or nearby Essex Skating Facility, Leddy Park Area, or Douglas Cairns Recreation Area for indoor fun. If you’re looking for something even more unique, try the Nordic skating trail on Lake Morey—a four-mile, beautifully maintained ice trail, inspired by the Scandinavian skating tradition.
- Dogsled- Explore back country Vermont & drive your own dogsled with October Siberians Sled Dog Adventures. Spend a few hours or spend the whole day.
- Snowmobile- Get out and interact with Vermont’s rugged winter beauty with Green Mountain Snowmobile Adventures or Snowmobile Vermont. Riders of all levels, even those with no experience at all, will have a blast with Snowmobile Vermont.
Be sure to make time to enjoy our full service Spa, savor Vermont cuisine with the freshest local ingredients in Junction or The Tavern or embark on a culinary adventure with a Cook Academy class. Your Overnight Package Starting at $119 per night includes:
- Premium Accommodations
- Nightly Hot Cocoa & S’more by the Fire Pit
- Snowshoes for onsite exploring
- 20% Off Dining in Junction or The Tavern, Cook Academy or Spa Services
Package activities based on availability for stay dates November 30, 2020 through March 31, 2021 . Please contact our concierge for suggestions. For 20% dining discount, items must be charged to guest room.
Indulge in a Vermont Spa Retreat with a loved one, a group of friends or on your own and treat yourself to one of our popular facials, massages or soothing treatments all the while enjoying all that is winter in Vermont.
Click To Call
Package includes (per person):
- One Night Accommodation
- $100 spa credit
- Breakfast at The Tavern (up to $16 value per person)
- Spa Lunch (up to $20 value per person)
- Unlimited Spa Access
- Late Check Out (up to 3:00PM)
Pricing varies depending on the number of people. Meal and spa gratuities are billed at the time of service.