Health & Safety
GIVING OUR GUESTS PEACE OF MIND
The health and safety of our both guests and associates has always been a top priority for us at The Essex Resort & Spa. In addition to our standard, strict cleaning practices, we have enhanced our efforts across the resort. New standards are now being implemented to better ensure the cleanliness of our Resort and the safety of all our guests and staff. Our housekeeping team is using hospital-grade cleaning agents, paying extra attention to high-touch surfaces in guestrooms and throughout public areas when cleaning and disinfecting. Our employees are constantly being trained on best practices, are wearing masks in all public areas, and have paid sick time available if they need to rest at home.
A New Standard of Cleanliness
We have developed new sanitation and hygiene practices using approved hospital-grade chemicals, procedures, and equipment to ensure the highest level of cleanliness in all areas of the resort.
- Guest Room Sanitation:
- Disinfecting: Sanitation chemicals proven to kill 99.9% of all germs and viruses will be used in guest rooms prior to guest arrival.
- 8-Point High-Touch Cleaning: A checklist of frequently touched areas in each guest room will be maintained, to ensure that they receive extra disinfection.
- Stayover Service: To further practice physical distancing and to protect both our guests and our associates, in-stay housekeeping is suspended temporarily for stays of more than one night. Towel and amenity replacement will be available upon request.
- Public Area Cleanliness: Multi-Surface Cleaner and Disinfectant will be used on all high-touch surfaces in our public areas.
- PPE: All Housekeeping Staff wear required PPE based on guidance from the CDC & Vermont State Health Department including Mask & Gloves while cleaning guest rooms.
- Housekeeping Standards: All Housekeeping Uniforms laundered & disinfected daily. Housekeeping carts are also disinfected daily inclusive of all equipment and tools. All used guest terry/linens are bagged in single use bags and tied off in each room before transported to laundry. Our housekeepers do not shake out linen per CDC guidelines.
Eight Point High-Touch Areas of Deep Cleaning
- Switches & Electronic Controls: lights, lamps, switches, and climate control panels
- Handles & Knobs: doors, closets, drawers, furniture knobs and blinds
- Bathroom & Bath Amenities: toilet handles/seats, splash walls, shower/tub controls, sink faucets, individual amenities, tissue boxes, soap dishes, amenity trays & hair dryer
- Telephones, Remote Controls & Clocks: handsets, dial pads & buttons
- Bed & Bedding: all bed linens including duvet covers, pillowcases & sheets
- Hard Surfaces: tables, desk, and nightstands
- Closet & Dresser Goods: iron, safe handle, and keypad
- In-Room Amenities: mini fridge
Protecting Our Guests and Employees
We have implemented a range of new and modified services that give all guests and employees “Peace of Mind” when arriving, checking in and staying at The Essex. Contactless procedures and practicing physical distancing are the new norm.
- Signage & Communication: Floor Markers for proper physical distance spacing (6 FT as per CDC). Signage displayed stating face coverings must be worn by guests & employees in building.
- Low Contact Check In: Safety shield are in place as a barrier. No signature registration card, employee does not handle guest credit card. Guest uses machine for credit card collection & authorization. Credit card machines are disinfected after each use.
- Personal Protective Equipment: PPE supplies available at Front Desk (gloves, masks, hand sanitizer) if needed for guests & employees.
- Medical/Wellness Check-In Procedure: All arriving guests complete COVID-19 Survey prior to receiving their guestroom keys; questions about common risk factors including travel, close contact & flu like symptoms in the past 14 days. All guests certify that they are coming from a low risk travel are or have completed the required quarantine prior to arrival at the hotel. All out of state guests register for state health alerts while they are visiting Vermont.
- Self-Parking Service: Valet Parking is currently suspended.
- Hand Sanitizers: Located at high traffic locations in the resort including at elevators landings on each floor, meeting rooms and the front desk.
- Elevator Safety: Door Handles & Elevator Buttons disinfected hourly by Attendant. Signage in place for elevator physical distancing practices limiting the number of guests for each elevator (2 per elevator unless they are part of same group, family).
New Employee Safety Practices Keep Everyone Safer
Our employees take great care ensuring your stay is safe. New standards of practicing physical distancing and engaging in contactless delivery of service are part of our new ongoing training and awareness for all employees, as our goal is your safety.
- PPE: Protective Personal Equipment is available to all employees to protect both them & others.
- Physical Distancing: Minimized contact with other associates while in work areas and staying six feet apart is practiced.
- Training: All team members have been trained & certified for VOSHA COVID training on physical distancing, PPE, and cleaning guidelines.
- Employee Medical/Wellness Check-In Procedure: All arriving employees complete a temperature check with manager prior to the start of their shift.
- Safer at Home: If an employee is not feeling well, or is showing any symptoms, or if they have a family member sick at home, they are asked and required to stay home from work.
- Sharing Safety: If a guest needs masks, sanitizer or wipes, our employees will be happy to provide them.
Spa Health & Safety
People are seeking ways to improve their health and well-being, and the use of exercise equipment, pools as well as spa services and beauty treatments are necessary to meet individual guests’ needs. To ensure consistency in keeping both our guests and employees safe, we intend to implement best practices so everyone can relax and have Peace of Mind when visiting Spa at The Essex.
- Sanitation: Guests not only see that a spa is clean, but it is a priority to show them and educate them on the many ways the Spa at the Essex takes sanitation seriously.
- Surface Checklist: Cleaning checklist for all workstations, treatment areas, countertops, massage & facial tables, chairs, warming equipment, reception & common areas, skincare equipment, fitness machines to be completed after each use.
- Employee Health and Hygiene: Safer at Home program strictly enforced. Employee screening each day. Personal Protective Equipment for our staff is standard.
- Fitness and Activities: Physical distancing for equipment layout and activities.
- Add additional signage to remind guests they are required to wipe down equipment after use. Limit guests allowed into fitness center at one time. Removed water machine and are providing bottled water at this time.
- Pool Health & Safety; Laminated signs that tells the guest that the lounge chairs have been sanitized or if sanitation is required at that time. Chaise lounge chairs to be sanitized each night. Guest contact surfaces are sanitized after each use. Towel rooms are stocked with towels that are individually wrapped in clear bags. Pool furniture re-set with proper physical distancing requirements.
- Sauna & Steam : As per state guidelines, these areas remain closed, however when they do reopen, these areas will be sanitized with hospital grade disinfectants to ensure safe usage by guests.
Food & Beverage Best Practices
Food & Beverage Operations and procedures will be forever changed and ensuring the safety of our guests and team members is paramount. Going forward, we will have much higher expectations for safety and sanitation with enhanced and visible procedures and excellent communications to earn your loyalty.
- Grooming, Uniforms & PPE: Employees will wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment according to the latest CDC policies and procedures. Items such as masks and gloves will always be worn when handling and serving food.
- General Safety & Sanitation: All employees have been re-trained in current food safety practices. ServSafe certificates required for all food and beverage employees.
- Reduced-Contact Service: Giving our guests personalized, memorable service is always a priority. Though our delivery of that service will alter, the standards will not diminish.
- Seating & Sanitation: Seating in accordance with physical distancing standards. Employees wear PPE & use single use sanitizer wipes to wipe tables and chairs in between seatings.
- Cook Academy: In accordance with physical distancing standards, Cook Academy class sizes are limited. New safety and sanitation procedures have been implemented for the safety of our guests and chef.